If you’re either a first time mum or this is your 2nd 3rd or 4th baby you can never be too prepared or have all the essentials. At a time like this so many things may seem overwhelming, “what do I need and what don't I need”. How do you choose the correct pram or cot or even changing table for you your baby your lifestyle.
So I have compiled a little list with some essentials based on MY EXPERIENCES and what I have found out based on my first pregnancy, my lifestyle and what I have preferred.
In no way am I an expert or know all about pregnancies and babies, take what you want from this post and adapt it to your needs and lifestyle.
On some items Ill elaborate a bit more and on other's I wont as it will come down to personal preference or simply what i have used, tested or absolutely love.
So here is a list of MUM & BABY Essentials.
1. BASSINET - While during my first pregnancy I didn’t have a proper bassinet I simply used the prams bassinet and would have baby sleep in the pram at night or throughout the day at home. This wasn’t the best solution but at the time I thought, hey I could possibly find a stand for the bassinet to use and wouldn’t need the added expense of a bassinet. Even though it worked perfectly fine for the first few months until she grew out of it, I wouldn't do the same 2nd time round.
If you are on a budget you can always look at a 2nd hand one from Gumtree- ebay or a buy swap sell site. Here are some of my favorite Bassinets and one that ill be using 2nd time around.
PLEASE NOTE - All new bassinets have to comply with Australian safety standards so if you are considering buying a second-hand bassinet, check the standards before you buy
IMAGE'S ft SNUZPOD2 from NURSERY DESIGN
2. BEDDING- Consider three sets - one being used, one being washed and one for little accident emergencies. Would also apply for Cot sheets too
3. COT - Whether you decide to have baby in the cot from the start or after they have grown out of the bassinet you will definitely need a cot. Id highly suggests buying one that has adjustable height to the mattress can be lowered once bub can stand up. But high for easy accesses when you need to pick them up.
When you choose a mattress for the cot you don’t need to spend an arm and a leg for a proper high quality mattress as babies don’t weigh much instead you can select a natural fiber breathable mattress.
You will also need
- Cot sheets x 3
- mattress protector (for any leaks or other accidents)
- Cot blanket / doona
4. NIGHT LIGHT
5. SLEEPING BAG
6. WHITE NOISE MACHINE
7. BABY COMFORTER
8. BABY MONITOR - Now I personally find these super handy to have even if baby sleeps in your bedroom. During the day you can keep an eye on them if they are in a different room as you or even if you have a double story house. Perfect for older kids too.
If you have 2 or more kids, consider having double monitors this way you can keep an eye on both instead of buying two separate monitor systems.
Here is one of my personal favorites which you can keep an eye on bub from your phone. But baby bunting have a wide range of single, double, video and audio monitors too. I personally found having video, audio and music all integrated in the monitor a life saver as I can talk back to older kids and also play music for sleep soothing along with having notifications when baby cries or room is too cold. https://www.lollipop.camera/
CHANGING + BATHING
1. NAPPIES or CLOTH NAPPIES
2. *SOAP, SHAMPOO, BATH WASH ( We love using the MUSTELA range where you would have seen it pop up a few times on my instagram already. They cater to so many skin types which makes them amazing for newborns)
3. *BABY OIL, BABY CREAM, BABY POWDER
4. BABY BATH & BATH CADDY
5. *SUDDOCREAM (or a natural nappy bum cream)
6. COTTON BUDS (perfect o cleaning bubs eyes, nose or even belly button)
7. FACE WASHERS + TOWELS
8. * HAIRBRUSH
9. CHANGE TABLE or CHANGE BASKET ( I usually have a change station in my bedroom and in the baby’s room or in the kids bathroom)
10. BABY WIPES - I have loved the ECO ORIGINALS RANGE
11. NAPPY BAGS
12. NAPPY BIN
13. BABY NAIL CLIPPERS - I have been using this one from Eonian Care for Christie and will also use it with bubs too
*HARRY HOOT CO, Have an amazing collection to cover most of these items mentioned above, they also make custom gift-boxes for MUMS+ BUBS at all stages which make for perfect gifts or to simply purchase some amazing essentials for yourself.
1. FEEDING PILLOW
2. BREAST PADS – MISS MAE STUDIO has some amazingly gorgeous, fabric reusable breast pads which i have only heard the best about, so i have stocked up on these.
3. BREAST ICE BLOCKS – ICE ICE BOOBY ice and heat packs are perfect to help sooth your breast while breastfeeding. I looked high and low for perineal ice blocks with Christie and boobie pads and could never find the perfect sized ones.
4. NIPPLE CREAM - HARRY HOOT has an organic nipple balm which helps sooth and restore nipples
5. BREASTFEEDING BRAS / SINGLETS
6. BREAST FEEDING COVER
7. BOOBIE COOKIES
FOR EXPRESSING or FORMULA FEEDING
1. BABY BOTTLES
2. BOTTLE STERILIZER
3. BOTTLE WARMER
4. BOTTLE CLEANING BRUSH
5. TEATS FOR BOTTLES
6. BREAST PUMP
7. BREAST MILK STORAGE BAGS/BOTTLES
When it comes to newborn clothing and up to 12 month old I usually try to have at least 7-9 pieces for each of the month/ages as basics then when needed extra for outings and events I would just buy what I needed a few weeks before. As babies grow so fast in the first few months there’s simply no need for so many clothes that will get worn max a month.
1. BODY SUITS - onesies x8
2. SINGLETS or INTERNAL TOPS x8
4. SCRATCH MITTENS
5. COTTON BEANIES or KNITTED (depending on when bubs born)
6. GROW SUITS
7. JACKETS, JUMPERS, CARDIGANS
8. SLEEP SUIT / SLEEPING BAG
9. SWADDLE, WRAPS, BLANKETS
FOR OUT AN ABOUT OF THE HOUSE
- PRAM or STROLLER – find one that fits your car and lifestyle
- PRAM RAIN COVER
- CAR SEAT – CAR CAPSULE. I went with a capsule that fitted on my pram which came in handy for quick errands when baby was sleeping, but you can find capsules/car seats that fit from newborn to older ages if your looking at saving
- SUN SHADE for car windows
- BABY CAR MIRROR – so you can have a better view of bub while driving, some also are cute with music which help bubs settle in the car
- SLING, POUCH,BABY CARRIER - This is if you will be baby wearing. We have gone with the gorgeous Ring Sling from VIXSA. they also have some other gorgeous designs you could choose from
- TRAVEL COT / PORTA COT if you travel or can also be used as play areas for kids.
- NAPPY BAG - PRAM CADDY
1. STORAGE (drawers, containers, boxes)
2. BABY MOBILE
4. SOFT TOYS
5. COMFORTER TOY
6. DUMMY / PACIFIER
7. DUMMY CHAIN
8. PLAY GYM – I absolutely adore this one from MY LITTLE GIGGLES, perfect and easy to move around and stores flat if you don’t need to use it.
9. PLAY MAT – I adore these super soft play mat play gyms from Bekaboo – They are all custom made and made with so much love and car, super soft and once again folds away flat when not needed. I also love the extra support of the higher sides so bub doesn’t roll out and onto the floor.
10. BABY SWING or BOUNCER
11. FIRST AID KIT
13. CHILDREN'S PANADOL
14. VITAMINS FOR MUM
15. BONJELA – or equivalent teething cream for when bubs start teething
16. HAND SANITIZER – I had one in every corner of the house the first few weeks before bubs had her first vaccinations. Came in handy when visitors and family wanted to hold the baby.
A FEW EXTRAS
Now these are pretty much the MOST BASICS ive mentioned above and what I used and wish I had during my first pregnancy. Below are also some items that you can invest in as essentials to help around the home and quick travels to family and friends, the beach or road trips.
1. DOCKATOT LOUNGER
These are so helpful to have bubs in while you need to get some work done around the house or while out at family so you’re not constantly holding baby. I find it easy, small and portable that I can just chuck it in the car and take it with me on a beach trip or to my parents. The concept behind these loungers are that the baby needs to feel that comfort and support of a loved one holding them. So, this lounger is made to mimic the womb of a mother, so baby can fell safe, snug and settle easy. These are also perfect for older children too. Oh and best part is they look super stylish
2. MOSES BASKET
These are perfect to have baby sleeping in again while out of the home or at home. Baby can be kept near your while getting house work done instead of in a separate room or you can take the basket with you on trips for bubs to sleep in. I have one at my parents’ home so im not constantly thinking how bubs will sleep when im there.
3. MILESTONE PLAQUES - CARDS
I loved creating digital miles stones for each month with Christie but since then we now have some stunning milestone plaques from amazing creatives on insta. I love the clear milestones from HELLO FERN they are perfect for any style you may have. Simply pop one next to bub and take a quick snap.
4. BABY BOOK - KEEPSAKE BOX
I'm one to taking a million pics of babie, keep every little paper and memories from everything (like a tissue or a wrapping) and always recording bubs every little thing. If your like me then WRITE TO ME have the most gorgeous journals you’ll ever want in your home to record every little aspect and keep sake box for all those little things. I struggles finding nice and neutral baby books with Christie, I could only find pink, floral, storks and typical little babies holding bottles and dummies on the pages. So these are perfect for those whole like stylish simple baby books. Best thing is they even look gorgeous styled in your home on a coffee table or side unit on display.